Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Flash backwards

I've been taking the time to look through some of the documents on my old iBook. I found a list of spam email headings I compiled for the old Mess blog, as follows:

When you are on a diet, the feeling of hunger is always with you? Hoodia 920+ knows how to kill the hunger.

With Hoodia 920+ you will not need chocolate to kill your depression. With Hoodia 920+ you simply wont have it as well as your excessive pounds.

After using Hoodia 920+ all your clothes will be too big for you.

Hoodia 920+ is the key to ideal unblemished body.

Always wanted to look like a super model. Finally, your dream will come true with Hoodia 920+

Time has changed and ugly stomachs are not the example of beauty anymore. That’s why you have to try Hoodia 920+.

Some weight loss preparations can work fast but are they harmless to your health? Hoodia 920+ is one of them.

Looking forward to summer but are a little scared of undressing some parts of your body. Let Hoodia 920+ take care of it.

There are 58 million of overweight people in America. With Hoodia 920+ you dont have to be one of them.

Don’t worry about Penis Enlarge Patch being harmful to your health.


Step back let Penis Enlarge Patch wash away your fears.

But speaking of the "mess" I discovered this thing on the Internet Archive called the Wayback Machine, where you can find websites which, unlike irony, have unfortunately passed. After scoping out Earth & Sky's claims that we were the first to bring radio science content to the web (it's true!), I decided to step back in my own internet history and check out the High Plains Messenger.

It was as if I had traveled back in time to August 5, 2006. Bush was still in office, and my last feature story, "Disabling the System" was the main image, and I think remained to be so because everyone had lost the motivation to change it or to really write anything else. I was blogging about random Colorado Springs stuff which didn't seem all that important to anyone.

But I consider "The Battle of the Bargains" in which I compared Extreme Bargains, Bargain Mart, and Walmart on the relative cost of Jet-Puffed Kraft Marshmellow Spread to be my best investigative work. And I still cherish the hate mail from "Tears of a Clown: Do Circuses Really Make Elephants Sad?"

This article really does seem biased, almost angrily so on the reporter's part. Maybe a rep from PETA killed her parents.


The commenter is only halfway wrong. My parents are still alive, but the article is indeed angrily biased, not "emminently fair". I did not like PETA's politics and I wrote it that way. It turned out as an entertaining but crappy article written with a half-baked idea of ethics. But it's the story I tell every single time someone mentions PETA. "Gather round," I tell the children who are considering going vegan. "And let me tell you about the time PETA almost killed my parents."

No comments: