Wednesday, November 05, 2008

OBAMA!

This morning, I did not wake up to feelings of anxiety and disappointment. A turning point in my political life - measured optimism for the presidency. Obama won!

I watched the election at a friend's house. He brought his big flat-screen TV outside and had a keg and set up lawn chairs. It was like tailgating the election. I got a mosquito bite on my forehead. We watched the coverage on Comedy Central with Stewart & Colbert when the flashy, confusing graphics and over-the-top maps on cable news got to be too much. It was comedy. So when Jon Stewart called it for Obama, after the West Coast came in, no one quite believed him. We all looked at each other. Is this for real? we asked ourselves. It was only 10pm (CT)! Was it really over? I mean, it's a national election and voting is a messy process. The American people have to have a contested state, a recall, or at least some chads hanging around. We need that.

But holy cow, it was true. McCain gave a very gracious speech, then flip to Chicago, where I had seen the tents set up this weekend, on the way to the Field Museum. The political commentators back on MSNBC pointed out that there were black people in the crowd. And the nation suddenly got a lot more diverse.

I think it only hit me when Obama walked out with his family. Because, gosh darn it, I love Michelle Obama. She is so awesome. I feel giddy when I imagine her in the White House. No, seriously, could she be more awesome? I don't know! I feel like she could! And that would be more awesome!


I'm just really, really happy that there will be a smart, strong woman in the White House to be a visible role model. I mean, think. Michelle Obama in the White House..... Cindy McCain in the White House.... big difference. What Barack Obama will be able to do as president versus what John McCain would have done as president? Not so clear.

No comments: