Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Best Music Review Ever

I saw Andrew Bird at the Bluebird in Denver on Saturday. I've been a fan of him for quite a few months now, and it just so happened that he was playing when we had already planned to go up. Shows are always kind of hit or miss for me, and by that I mean shows I go to because I'm already a fan of the music. I think this stems from disappointing experiences in high school, when I would love people on the radio who totally half-assed it in person. I prefer to have no expectations, or at least expect to be somewhat disappointed.

That said, it is more than rare that a live show can elevate the music you love to a completely new level. Seeing Andrew Bird live is not a matter of enjoyment, but being awestruck at just how talented one man can musically be. The enjoyment comes next. Here's a good representation of "A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left" via YouTube.



Look! He plays the fiddle two ways! He switches instruments in like .2 seconds! He is the best whistler in the world! He samples himself, then literally builds the song on top of itself! Look how he tics his head with the lyric! He's pretty much the best thing ever!

It's been three days and I still haven't gotten over it. Listening to the albums is no longer satisfying. You can download some live-ish tracks. And I never thought I'd say it, but thank God for YouTube.

No comments: