Monday, September 11, 2006

The Style of Unemployment, Pt. 1



Buy a t-shirt!

I spent all last night bookmarking freelancing jobs, and most of today writing worthless emails to Craigslist. Of course, a post for blogging for ski free passes took precedence over "real" jobs. I called the number and the woman seemed so incredibly indifferent to my interest that we actually had an awkward conversation.

Then I applied to this: Okay, fuckers. Now it's deleted. That's because it DIDN'T WORK. I was all excited to even possibly work for an "Animal-Themed Website" where the main requirements were:
Previous experience as an editor/journalist
Blogging experience
MUST LOVE ANIMALS!

It really sounded perfect. Previous experience? Yes, two full months worth. Blogging experience? What do you call this? And loving animals? Do I ever! But do animal people love me? No, they do not. They think I am a horrible person and have considered killing my parents. This is the point of applying for this job: The irony.

Unfortunately, the potential irony was lost when it turned out to be a hoax.

I'm also thinking about writing disgustingly sentimental poems for greeting cards. They claim that they will pay $300 per accepted poem. If anyone feels like joining me in this pursuit, we can spend potentially useless hours together penning non-rhyming verse about our love for our sons and daughters and our sorrows for your loss. And then, we can rake it in.

But after my animal-love website job trauma, I don't know if I can ever trust Craigslist again. There are so many opportunities for fraud and gender-based housing discrimination. Luckily, I have an interview on Wednesday, but there is some self-doubt as to whether I'm qualified or not. And if that falls through, at least I can count on a $19 freelancing check coming through sometime next week. Sweet.

No comments: