Sunday, September 24, 2006

Styles of Unemployment, Pt. 2



It looks like my unemployment woes are over. I accepted a job on Friday. I'll probably start next week, after I get some paperwork done. Then you can call me "Assistant Enclave Manager" and choose to remain unclear about what exactly that means. I'll be working at a company that provides services to people with developmental disabilities, mostly in the area of supervised employment. Which means one day I could be in the office, and the next I could be watching people recycling computers, and the next I could be watching people clean hotel rooms or tear apart cables.

One thing I did not expect was to have a career change within four months of graduating (seems like forever), but I think it's definetely for the best. Here's a list of "pro's" and "con's", "the mentally challenged" versus "journalism".

PRO'S/ THE MENTALLY CHALLENGED

People inexplicably happy to see me
Less time spent isolating oneself on the internet
Consistent human interaction
Reimbursement for car mileage
Steady paycheck, no longer need to chase down employer for a check once in a while
Stories come to you, versus you searching for stories
Motivation to wash hair and look presentable
Less need to worry about what's going on in D-11
Do not need to continually justify myself to people who hide behind pseudonyms

CON'S/ JOURNALISM

Can no longer sleep until ten before starting work
Need to get out of bed before starting work
Fewer excuses to do random Google searches for hours on end
No more hiding behind inherent authority in media
Hourly pay instead of random spurts of productivity interspersed with hours of avoiding writing
Less reason to attend potentially amusing yet awkward community events
Fewer opportunities to receive free food and drinks


I'll be continuing to freelance in hopes of getting more free stuff.

No comments: