Wednesday, September 06, 2006

We're good with the golden rule, too.

I've been living life as a regular Springsteen for about four months now. And while I feel like I know more and more people in the Springs, I have failed to meet any young people. Or, let me rephrase. Any young people who want to be my friend.

This has been a continual source of frustration for myself and my roommate, who consider ourselves fairly likeable, creative, and entertaining people who won't get on your nerves. In other words, good friend candidates. We don't hide away in our little cottage watching anime or playing video games on our computers. We like to get out and do interesting things like go to the county commissioners meetings and possibly dumpster dive Doug Bruce's garbage (possibly). We try to go places where young people might be. We are trying really hard.

My roommate is constantly coming up with friend-making schemes. Naomi proposed this idea back in July: "Here's how it's going to go. I'm going to come home from work and say, 'Lindsay. I just found this really cool event in 7 Days to Live. We should go.' And you'll say yes, and we'll go and eventually we'll meet people." We were supposed to follow this regimen about three days a week. I don't think we really followed up on that. So about a week ago, Naomi came up with another idea. A friend quota that started small. "Lindsay. We need more friends. We both have to find one friend, and then we can share." I asked if my friend who graduated from CC two years ago counted, because I did not know him while I was in school. She eventually capitulated, and now I'm just waiting on her for our friend-sharing program to begin.

It's not like we're totally friendless. In fact, I would say we have made friends. But they all happen to go to CC, and the point is to diversify. It just seems like everyone in the Springs either goes to high school, wears girl pants, is in the military, or is older than 25.

Case and point: Last night Naomi and I ventured out on the town, i.e. Old Chicago, to go to Drinking Liberally. Sounds like a great place for young, politically involved, interesting people, right? We even invited our young, politically involved, interesting friend Christy, who graduated from CC before us and is working on Mike Merrifield's campaign (quite the moustache, that Merrifield). But everyone in the back section of Old Chicago was over 40, asides from the hosts themselves and a poli sci major from CC. It was a worthwhile event and I met some interesting people, but now I'm pretty convinced that young, politically involved, interesting people do not exist in the Springs. At least that's what one of the candidates said.

But still, Naomi would really appreciate it if someone would step up and help her meet her end of the friend quota.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Very funny. The quiz is fun, but it's age-biased. Trying to recognize commercial jingles from the 70s is like sitting down at the SATs and realizing you forgot to study analogies, except it was because you weren't born yet. Also, no drink specials - WTF?